- Wanting the parent that isn’t behaving as a parent to be the parent that they’re supposed to be
- Wanting to make the dance or sports team you’ve worked so hard for
- Wanting admittance to the college you really want to attend
- Wanting the relationship you’re in to work out
- Wanting someone that’s sick that you love to be healed
- Wanting your parent to quickly find a new job to replace the one they lost
- Wanting peace and the pain you’re feeling to go away
- Wanting to be loved, desired, and cared for
The answer is pretty simple actually. God IS good and he IS loving. In fact, through those seemingly reasonable requests we’re actually seeking things like love, acceptance, importance, and companionship. Because he is good and loving God provides all those things for us through a relationship with him and additionally through relationships with others but if he tells us “No, I’m not going to meet that need in the way you’re asking” we’ve gotta realize something that so many refuse to accept.
He is God. You are not.
Even though it’s a natural time in your life to seek independence some of you were thrust into independence because a parent let you down, because you had to grow up faster than you should have.
To be honest, whether you’ve been let down and found yourself unwillingly in a position to rely on yourself or you’re just hungry, chomping at the bit for your freedom, this is not the time to transfer the dependence you once had on your parents to dependence on yourself.
For some of you this is just a reminder. For others, you may have never been told that you can depend on God. And for some, you’ve been told but you don’t believe it. All you know is a God who seems unreasonable, who doesn’t take care of you like you think you need to be taken care of, a God who doesn’t answer your prayer like you think he should. After all you’re being reasonable…
In fact there was something I wanted sooooo bad a few years ago. It was my deepest desire and I prayed “God please please please and if your answer is no give me peace!” Every time another month would go by and my prayer went unanswered I was heartbroken. I remember specifically driving in my car asking God rather adamantly “Where’s my peace!?!”
I remember him specifically answering “You don’t have peace because you’re not asking for the right thing.”
It dawned on me. I had been asking God to “gimme gimme gimme and if I don’t get my way make me ok with it” NOT “God you know my deepest desires and longings. You know how bad I want this but God more than anything I want what you want WHEN you want it because your ways are not my ways. Your plans are not my plans and anything you have planned for me is better than anything I could possibly plan for myself. God I trust you with my desires and I ultimately want what you have planned for me”
There was my peace…
While waiting for him to fulfill my request, the desires I had didn’t go away but the priority they had in my life changed. God’s plans for me ranked higher. I got over myself and I found peace and I had hope in his plans.
So how do we know when we’ve begun to accept the truth that He is God and we are NOT??
When we begin to shift from OUR plans for God to God’s plans for us.
The difference for me though, I had been armed with the truth that God is good ALL the time, even when I don’t understand what’s going on. His words and promises are trustworthy. Get that with me. He can be trusted based on what He has said.
How do you know your trust, dependence, and expectations have shifted??
When we begin to want most what God has already offered us.
Do you have any idea what God has offered you? What you have already been promised? I can tell you all day how great God is and how he’s promised you good things but some of you will need to see it for yourself. He clearly tells us in the Bible who he is and what he’s promised.
Here are just a few characteristics of the God you can place your trust in.
- Compassionate (2 Corinthians 1:3, 1 Peter 5:7)
- Powerful (Psalm 93:1-2 Corinthians 12:9-10, Ephesians 6:10)
- Ever Present (Hebrews 13:5-6, Matthew 28:20)
- Loving (John 3:16, Romans 5:8, 1 John 4:9-10)
- Approving (John 6:27, Colossians 3:3)
- Listening (Psalm 55:17)
- Awesome Protector (Exodus 15:11. Psalm 99:3)
- Victorious (Zephaniah 3:17, Romans 8:37)
- Honorable (Philippians 2:9)
- Good (Psalm 34:8, Psalm 106:1)
- Just (Deuteronomy 32:4, Romans 2:11 )
- Forgiving (Psalm 103:10-12, Hebrews 10:17)
- Protective (Psalm 91, Psalm 118: 6-9, 2 Thessalonians 3:3)
- Sufficient (2 Corinthians 9:8, 2 Corinthians 12:9, Ephesians 3:20)
- Kind (Psalm 103:13, Romans 2:4, Ephesians 1:5)
- Faithful (Numbers 23:19, Psalm 89:1-2, 5, Lamentations 3:23)
He has promised you such GOOD things. You know our heart has shifted from trusting in ourselves to trusting in Him when we are convinced that God only does us good and we want HIS good for us no matter what that means!
- Romans 12:2 reminds us that God’s will for us is good.
- Philippians 2: 13 tells us that God’s purpose for us is good.
- Philippians 1:6 says God’s work in us is good.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:16 says The hope God has given us is good.
- Ephesians 2:10 tells us The works God created us for are good.
- James 3:17 says The fruit God produces in us is good.
- James 1:16 says The gifts God gives us are good.
- Hebrews 13:21 says Indeed, God equips us with everything good.
- And finally, Romans 8:28 promises God works all things together in our lives for good!
I get it. Some of you are really hurt and really mad and you probably have a lot of legitimate reasons. But I’m going to be pretty blunt here. You are just a human being. You are finite. You don’t know it all and even if you’ll admit that, you probably wouldn’t admit that maybe you don’t even always know what’s best for you.
I went for a hike in Memorial Park a couple of weeks ago. I went down a trail that I had no idea how long it was or where it would take me. As I was walking along listening to my music, talking to God I got to thinking how even though I don’t really know what I’m doing or where I’m going,

I know God certainly does.
So often in my life I’ve gone down a path and he’s given me clear markers
When I’m actively seeking his direction for my life the signs can be pretty obvious.

BUT if I’m actively engaged in listening and knowing God my father, what may confuse some people might not confuse me and I keep going, trusting that I’m to continue on the path he started me on.
Sometimes the path can be a little messy and unpleasant even

But that’s just part of the journey and backs up the claim found in Romans 5:3-4.
We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope.
Through our suffering we can obtain hope found through a personal faith in Jesus.
Maybe you’ve had the wrong idea about God. Maybe you’ve thought of him as some sort of genie that grants your wishes. And when he doesn’t you get mad because he‘s let you down. Maybe you’ve thought of him as the way to get to heaven but you’ve never sought out a relationship with him or even fathomed letting him have control of your life. Maybe some of you have never even heard that God is good, that he loves you, that he has plans for you, that he desires a relationship with you, or that he’s offered to wipe your slate clean and give you an undeserving grace and eternal life.
So what is God’s response to us as believer’s when we’ve failed him, when we’ve treated him like a genie, when we’ve gotten mad, when we’ve accepted him as Savior but not Lord of our life? James 4:6 tells us that he gives us more grace.
Do ya’ll know what grace is? Grace is getting something good that you don’t deserve. It’s like being on a team and getting a trophy at the end of the season just for playing, not because you did anything to earn it.
What should our response be to God once we know the truth and the error of our ways? What should our response be once we’ve finally heard about the king who humbled himself by riding on a donkey as a precursor to his death? A death and subsequent resurrection just so he could claim his place on the throne of our hearts? Our response should be one of humbleness and repentance. (To repent is to make a change.)
If anyone has any questions about what you’ve just heard, would like to take the step today to make Jesus lord of your life, or if you need prayer, I encourage you to talk to me or your leader.

No comments:
Post a Comment